Topic: Racism
No members browsing this topic.

Page 1 of 1
(#1) posted on September 10, 2013. - 22:15
Zeke

Not really sure where to put this but I guess I found comfort putting it here....that doesn't sound too sexual, now does it?

All jokes aside, this topic(racism) has been something that has always affected me and I'm quite sure everyone else at some point or another. I am writing this thread for people to share their views on racism, and their stories about overcoming it. Though, because of recent events in my city, it seems to be a growing problem that no one seems to try to solve. I know the internet isn't the best place to put this but, I feel like if I don't vent out about it, I may commit suicide. Not looking for attention either, so if this post is ignored that's fine, but hopefully you will be able to leave this thread with a bit of knowledge and insight on another look on life.

Background Information about myself:
I am a 21(going on 22 in November) black student from Miami, FL. I spend most of my time playing bass in bands and participating in Magic the Gathering tournaments, whenever I'm not at school, studying, or working as a cook at a bar. I have black friends, white friends, latino friends and a few asian friends. A typical human being, right? A tad bit dorky, though, I'm still made of flesh.

My issue:
Just last week, I was accused of stealing someone's phone at work. When they eventually found their phone, I acted as if nothing affected me but deep down inside, I was hurt. I had been working at this place for a year now, and I was wrongfully accused of doing something I didn't. Seriously, who works at a place for a year to steal a phone? Especially when I've had plenty of times to steal thousands of dollars. The worst part is, no one has even tried to apologize for what they did. Just because I'm a 210 lb, 6'1" black man, doesn't mean I don't have feelings. I mean seriously, I've given this place my sweat and tears. I've missed birthday parties and cookouts just to make sure this place stayed running properly...and this is how you repay me?

Most of you may be like..."Well, then just quit..." I wish I could but, because of no one wanting to hire down here in Florida, it's hard to find another job. I've seen plenty of ads in the newspaper that say "Help Wanted" however, when I arrive at the front door, they tell me that they aren't hiring. How does it make sense that you want help but you aren't hiring? I saw that same ad run for 2 months....does that make any sense?

However, that's not all. Not just work, but school. A place where I go to pursue higher learning, I'm stereotyped as a stereotypical black man. And well, let's not list the stereotypes but you could imagine walking into a class late and getting a dirty look from about 90% of the class. But, it's worst when you're in a Jazz Appreciation class and you have a teacher that absolutely hates Rap music, and he looks at you the entire time when he speaks about the stereotypes of Rap music. And the sad part is, I've tried introducing him to Rap music that doesn't carry any of those stereotypes and he doesn't even want to give it a chance. So you hate the music, yet you aren't willing to give the cleaner forms of the music a chance?

The sad part is, I hoped that at least one person in the class would have some backbone and speak out. I mean, it's not like only black people listen to Rap these days, right? Hell, I saw plenty of people with Jordans and Kanye West t-shirts in the classroom and none of them even tried once to defend the music they listened to. I barely listen to Rap music, and I had to be the one to defend it. What the f*ck kind of sh*t is that? More importantly, no one said anything about how the teacher talked to me and viewed me in class.

In the end, justice prevailed. I decided to start going to class acting like the stereotype that he portrayed me as after I realized that I couldn't change his opinion. Though, this was just a diversion tactic until I could eventually prove to him how stupid and ignorant he was. So, I continued to go to class, be rude, stupid, and debate with him about everything that me and him don't see eye to eye on, until it was time for the final project. For the final project I had to write an essay and well, let's just say it wasn't just good, it was great. Great enough to the point where actually said I didn't have to show up for the final exam or for the rest of the semester. I have no idea what was going on in his head exactly, but something told me he may have had a shift in viewpoints.

My only message is to treat people, like people and hopefully in return we could all get along one day.
(#2) posted on September 12, 2013. - 12:28
Low

This, is typical behavior. Thank god I live in a country that does not racialize based on colors. People here differenciate based on opinions.

Anyhow, I'm like a hybrid Arabian and Asian and European type. My skin is yellowish whiteish. I listen to rap, rock and heck whatever. But then again, they are mostly based on what you want and your personal taste. It has nothing to do with discrimination.

Other than that, I know a couple of black girls who are very hot.
(#3) posted on September 12, 2013. - 15:44
1 like
Lesbo

I think you're overreacting man. Never ever think about suicide. Do not consider doing it, it's not an option. Get the thought out of your head.

First of all.. are you sure that it's racism? I mean you worked at the place for over a year and is this the first "possible" racist thing that's happened to you? I mean how the owners and fellow co-workers treat you.

Man i'm a jew. A fucking jew. I have a friend who had a brother who was murdered a few years back.. why? Because we are fucking jews. There's racism in all forms of fashion all over the world, you're not alone

You should tell the owners that you feel that it wrong by them to accuse you on an assumption that you stole it because you're black and depending on how they react to your feelings and how they respond to you, then you should either find a new place to work or you'll see that maybe you overreacted and they aren't racist. I hope it's the latter of the two.

Anyway in the meantime go job hunting in your spare time while you continue to work where you are.

I repeat also never consider suicide. When you run away from your problems and take the easy way out, think about what you leave behind. Family? Friends? People who care about you. etc.

Good luck to you in life mate!
(#4) posted on September 16, 2013. - 22:50
Zeke

It's their first time directing their racism towards me but, there have been other times. For example, I work in a wing joint, and basically this black guy asked for all drums in his order, and the server told him "We don't do all drums", which is bullshit. We do all drums, hell, we do all flaps too. Why the hell was she denying this guy some drums?

Oh yeah, and trust me, I know Jews get it bad. And I never said that blacks get discriminated more than anyone else. I have white friends, and just because we hang out, we tend to get a few dirty looks from people. Black AND white. Which is stupid because we're just a bunch of people hanging out.
(#5) posted on September 18, 2013. - 04:15
Nelo

You ever heard of craigslist? I mean they have some pretty sparing jobs on there. I got my 1st job from there and I got like 8 interviews the same week I searched on the site. But anyways, I live in Chicago, one of the most black dominated cities in America. You most definitely aren't alone because there are some pretty racist fucks here in Illinois, especially in suburban cities where all of the peoples money goes to the city rather than the state in taxes. I do believe there are times where someone would be racist towards you or another unfitting individual, but other times it really revolves around archetypes. I just started college again and I can already see the diversity of races and it has only been like 3 weeks into the semester. I have classes with allot of races, and surprisingly you wouldn't believe how much they like opposite races. Its like what you said, being a black guy who listens to rock music. When a white man sees a black guy their first opinion on them could be that they're obsessive with rap music based on the archetype of that black mans history, but when that white man realizes the black guy likes rock more than rap, or knows more about rock than the white man knows, than thats when a change usually occurs and acceptance is in mind. I know racism is still in effect today, just look at the Zimmerman case, bunch of black ignorant people are raging about a black kid they didn't even know. Hell I'm black and I could give 2 fucks about what another black guy did because I don't know him and it isn't my business. But anyway, I think it depends on your area overall. From my experience, I know there is allot of racial profiling in southern states such as Florida, whereas there are countries in whole that accepts other races more than their own people, such as some areas in Russia, and Cuba.
(#6) posted on September 18, 2013. - 21:25
Zeke

Quote by Nelo
You ever heard of craigslist? I mean they have some pretty sparing jobs on there. I got my 1st job from there and I got like 8 interviews the same week I searched on the site. But anyways, I live in Chicago, one of the most black dominated cities in America. You most definitely aren't alone because there are some pretty racist fucks here in Illinois, especially in suburban cities where all of the peoples money goes to the city rather than the state in taxes. I do believe there are times where someone would be racist towards you or another unfitting individual, but other times it really revolves around archetypes. I just started college again and I can already see the diversity of races and it has only been like 3 weeks into the semester. I have classes with allot of races, and surprisingly you wouldn't believe how much they like opposite races. Its like what you said, being a black guy who listens to rock music. When a white man sees a black guy their first opinion on them could be that they're obsessive with rap music based on the archetype of that black mans history, but when that white man realizes the black guy likes rock more than rap, or knows more about rock than the white man knows, than thats when a change usually occurs and acceptance is in mind. I know racism is still in effect today, just look at the Zimmerman case, bunch of black ignorant people are raging about a black kid they didn't even know. Hell I'm black and I could give 2 fucks about what another black guy did because I don't know him and it isn't my business. But anyway, I think it depends on your area overall. From my experience, I know there is allot of racial profiling in southern states such as Florida, whereas there are countries in whole that accepts other races more than their own people, such as some areas in Russia, and Cuba.

I have to say, I completely agree with you about college and the Zimmerman case. I absolutely do not care what happened to Trayvon. My sister knew him so I guess she was a little affected by him dying but whatever. But when you were saying that racism is bad in the southern states, it really is.

Not to dwell on negativity, but this relates to the Trayvon case. I've noticed that during the trial people of different races were very hostile with each other. Some of my white friends were mad because they called ZImmerman a white-man instead of hispanic, and I kinda felt like they were blaming me for that. Though, I felt like some of my black friends only wanted him to go to jail because he was white.....which didn't make any sense. And then on top of that, all of my neighbors thought my family was going to riot, so they called in a police officer just to watch guard. Which is funny, because I've been living in my house for 20 years, and that's almost 4 times as long as everyone else in my neighborhood. And on top of that, there wasn't a single riot in the entire country! And I saw some of those protests that people considered "riots", there were white people protesting with blacks. However, my whole conclusion about the Trayvon Martin case, was that the media was trying to stir up old demons and get people to fight against each other. Unfortunately, it worked in some cases.
(#7) posted on September 19, 2013. - 17:52
Lesbo

Well you don't seem to be contemplating suicide anymore, so for that i am thankful. Looking over this topic and the things you have written, anyone can tell that you are an intelligent man with a bright future ahead of you.

Don't let these little obstacles bring you down. Everyone goes through challenges in life. Some people have it harder then others, but one should never compare their issues with another. When you have problems you should face them instead of running away.

This topic is a start. It's a start on acknowledging your problem(s) and looking for help and advice, It goes to show what a quality individual you are. You have been caused a lot of pain emotionally from the situation at hand yet you are being a man about it. Even though i do not know you, i like you and am proud of you mate.

Don't let racist fuckers bring you down. All life is precious.

Personally my mother is dying right now as we speak. She has had cancer for almost 3 years now and it's getting the better of her. I am lost and very heart broken. What i have managed to learn from her situation is to respect things much more and not take things for granted.

Yeah you might be having a rough time right now but things will get better. You won't be working there forever.

Do you have goals in life? What are they? Focus on something you want to accomplish and get it done. Even though i do not know you i can tell you have a seriously bright future ahead of yourself and you should NOT let things like these bring you down!
(#8) posted on September 20, 2013. - 08:11
Zeke

Quote by Lesbo
Well you don't seem to be contemplating suicide anymore, so for that i am thankful. Looking over this topic and the things you have written, anyone can tell that you are an intelligent man with a bright future ahead of you.

Don't let these little obstacles bring you down. Everyone goes through challenges in life. Some people have it harder then others, but one should never compare their issues with another. When you have problems you should face them instead of running away.

This topic is a start. It's a start on acknowledging your problem(s) and looking for help and advice, It goes to show what a quality individual you are. You have been caused a lot of pain emotionally from the situation at hand yet you are being a man about it. Even though i do not know you, i like you and am proud of you mate.

Don't let racist fuckers bring you down. All life is precious.

Personally my mother is dying right now as we speak. She has had cancer for almost 3 years now and it's getting the better of her. I am lost and very heart broken. What i have managed to learn from her situation is to respect things much more and not take things for granted.

Yeah you might be having a rough time right now but things will get better. You won't be working there forever.

Do you have goals in life? What are they? Focus on something you want to accomplish and get it done. Even though i do not know you i can tell you have a seriously bright future ahead of yourself and you should NOT let things like these bring you down!

Very wise words of encouragement. Thanks a lot, Lesbo. I've found a very ease mind from reading your post. You're right, I do have goals, big goals. I can't let a few morons sway me off of my course.
(#9) posted on September 23, 2013. - 14:01
1 like
Lesbo

Call me Les.

If you ever want to talk feel free to approach me. I'm normally active on a different forum than this called soul-boards.com

http://www.soul-boards.com/profile/fujin~rajin/

Shoot me a PM whenever

I'm also at my chat when i'm online

http://xat.com/crackhouse_

Anyway glad i could help. =]
Don't be afraid to talk to me if you need to reach out to someone.

Page 1 of 1
Login to your Naruto-Kun account if you would like to post a reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, click here to register one.
WHO'S ONLINE
igi33.
Admins online: 1 - Global Moderators online: 0 - Moderators online: 0 - Members online: 0 - Guests online: 21

Naruto-Kun Forums | 2013 - 2014